Friday, February 11, 2011

The H-1B "CAP-GAP" and the F-1 Student

The cap of 65,000 H-1B petitions for FY2011 has been reached. As a result, one must wait to apply for H-1B status under the new quota for FY2012, starting October 1, 2011. The earliest an H-1B petition can be filed for the new fiscal year is April 1, 2011, requesting an October 1st start date. For certain F-1 students, this interim period creates what is termed the “cap gap” as their status may lapse before their H-1B status can commence on October 1st. Current regulations provide relief to students by allowing an extension of F-1 status and work authorization for those students who are the beneficiaries of a pending or approved H-1B petition.

Upon the submission of a timely filed H-1B petition, the automatic cap gap extension will apply and the F-1 student will continue to maintain valid duration of status until the effective date of the H-1B approved status. Individuals under post-completion OPT at the time of filing will also receive extended work authorization through September 30th under the cap gap provisions. F-1 students with H-1B petitions that remain pending beyond October 1st are allowed to legally remain in the U.S. but their work authorization will cease. Please note that students who are within the 60 day grace period and have already completed their OPT by the April 1st filing date will also benefit from the automatic extension of their duration of status, but will not receive extension of their work authorization. For example, F-1 students whose OPT expires in February 2011 will qualify for an extension of their F-1 status while their H-1B petition is pending, but will not qualify for an extension of their work authorization as their OPT will have expired prior to April 1, 2011. However, F-1 students whose OPT is valid until July 2011 will qualify for both an extension of their F-1 status and extension of their work authorization until September 30, 2011.

For more information on filing a timely H-1B petition on April 1st and qualifying for F-1 extension of status and work authorization under the “cap gap,” please contact our offices at:

Law Office of Amanda R. Goodman
1133 Broadway, Suite 706
New York, New York 10010
Phone: 516-647-5937


  1. I love this article!! I have been reading this blog for quite sometime now, and this is my first comment. I would like to tell you that I enjoy reading this blog, and that I love thought provoking articles like this! O-1 Visa Attorney

  2. there are numerous visas specifically for employment – all require planning and consideration of timelines. You need to have a job offer and an employer who will sponsor you. A bachelor’s degree or the equivalent is required for the H-1B visa. If you plan to work for the same employer in the U.S that you have already worked for at home for over one year.overall your bog is good to provide this type of information.but please mention some info about theO-1 Visa Attorney
    for more info please call us on our toll free no:1-888-501-3133

  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a
    nice information.

    Immigration Consultants in Chandigarh

  5. I don’t suppose many of websites give this kind of information.
    legal help

  6. You entirely go with our expectation and the range of our information.ny criminal defense attorney

  7. Your blogs are totally value gift compute and energy. bubblegum casting reviews